Friday, June 21, 2013

Many 'Hello's

It turns out that not all of my ponderings can be concentrated into tweet size. As the topic of blogging has recurred many times of late, I figured it was likely my own dislike for writing that was preventing me from 'getting the clue'. And so I've opened up a new blog and shall endeavor to (relatively) consistently document the more complex of said ponderings. I had actually considered using that for my blog name, but I felt the 'Admonition of Paul' found in Philippians 4:8 rather better fit my intent.

Philippians 4:8  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovelywhatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Also, I state up front that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, better known as 'Mormons'. Yes, we are Christians - just look at the name above... That said, I'm not going to pretend that my background does not influence my thoughts in order to make others who dislike my religion feel more comfortable. Be it known up-front that I also will not be saying whatever I end up writing about with the intent of forcing missionaries down the reader's throat. If a scripture or concept peculiar to Mormons has part in my thought processes they will be unapologetic-ally referenced and even explained. I hope the reader will recognize the difference. However, if there is any reader who would like to learn more, I will also happily refer them to more information.

Furthermore, whilst (that's a fun word, isn't it?) I am a member and I strive to have proper understanding and "Stand at a witness at all times, and in all things, and in all places", I do not actually speak for the church.

I read a blog post just this morning by a woman remarking as a Mormon on the current 'bikinis are immodest' issue claiming that modesty is all subjective and only men are responsible for their responses to higher levels of exposed female flesh. While it is true that women and girls need to learn to be at peace with their bodies, we all have a level of responsibility to help and 'sustain' those around us, leading them to do good. If we have a positive or negative influence on those around us, should we not consider ourselves and how we use it? For I believe we will ultimately be held accountable for even that.

This seems quite a tangent, but the reason I mark it here is in concern for the impression this lady, as a Mormon blogger, clearly had in view of the many comments posted. I do not believe her post, while mostly well-intended, actually represents our religion. If, somehow, I get distracted in some passionate response to something and stray from the mark, please recognize I claim my imperfections for myself and strive to correct them as I recognize them and please do not condemn the church in my place.

These points being made, I want to say many 'hello's to any and all who come across this blog. Some of these initial posts will actually be ponderings I wrote a couple years ago (some 15 or so of them - I stopped for my previously noted dislike of writing...). I do have many thoughts on a variety of subjects, but you will likely notice a preponderance of references to stories triggering thought processes. That just happens to be the main way I learn. Whatever I end up writing about, I hope I can promise you that they will all have some depth to them as I don't have much patience for shallow fluff. Hope you enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment